The Northwest Horse Source




Welcome to the NWHS Article Archive

Articles are posted here one month after their appearance in the magazine, except for cover stories, which are posted concurrently with the magazine's release.

Copyright to all content is held by The Northwest Horse Source LLC and/or the article's author. If you would like to reprint or repost an article, please contact us. Feel free to link to any article on this site from your own blog or website.

3/01/2010

Get Away with the NWRCHA

An introduction to the people of the Northwest Reined Cow Horse Association

by Allison Trimble

For many hard-working people who love their horses, finding time for themselves can be extremely challenging. We all have so many responsibilities that there can be little time left for family or friends. In the past 10 years, horse shows have been my only vacations. I got to thinking about the large group of people I know who are at these shows having fun.

The Northwest Reined Cow Horse Association is an affiliate of the National Reined Cow Horse Association and has four great shows in the Northwest featuring cutting, reining and working cow horse competition. Last year, the association even added in some great beginner classes to open the doors to anyone who wants to come join in the fun. This month I interviewed some people to get insight on how showing in the NWRCHA fits into their vacation plans.


Dave Diehl

"As the President of the NWRCHA I always keep in mind that every one of our shows may be the member’s vacation. The Futurity, Derby and Northwest’s Greatest Horseman Competition that is held in July in Powell-Butte, Oregon and is a week long is the perfect setting for that. Set against the backdrop of the beautiful Brasada Ranch, it is a week full of good friends, awesome horses and activities. My wife, Linda, and I spend our scheduled vacations at horse shows every year. It is more of a lifestyle than a hobby for us, and it only makes sense to spend our vacations doing what we love with other people who feel the same way!"

Debbie Proctor

"My husband and I used to have a 'Date File' in our office that consisted of one overnight or weekend date that we would go on together a year. We were just too busy between raising children, business and our own interests, and that left little time for each other. All that changed this past year.

"For years I have been into horses and would go to reining shows with my barn friends while Lyle stayed home with the kids and animals. This past year he bought me a horse for Christmas, 'Hawkeye,' when I expressed an interest in doing reined cow horse. Lyle never shared my passion for horses, but would ride once a year on a working cattle ranch and enjoyed it. After buying Hawkeye, he started to ask me if he could come ride with me up at the barn. I eagerly shared my new present and he was having so much fun that I suggested that he should ride Hawkeye and compete! After his first show he was hooked, and ever since we have found ourselves traveling together all over the place showing this year.

"Its funny how things change. Now our kids are staying home to watch the house and animals and we are enjoying traveling together to the shows, supporting one another. We are loving the NWRCHA. What a great group of people!"

Beckie Jensen

"Like most people and their hobby, there is usually that defining moment, the moment when you say, 'I think I would like to try that – it looks like fun!' That moment for me was four years ago when Diane Edwards introduced my husband, Bob, and myself into the world of the cow horse. Anyone who shares a horse addiction knows there is only one thing more exhilarating than watching these beautiful athletes doing what they were bred and trained to do...that is to own one yourself. However, we all know that if one is good, two is twice the fun, right?

"I could fill this page with adventures that Bob and I have shared with our cow horse friends over the years, but we’ll save that for another time. My reason for writing this story is to inform others that you don’t need to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 company–you can be a retired firefighter and a college secretary–and still be part of this exciting world. Bob and I are busy planning our 2010 vacation schedule, which is built solely around the cow horse events – I couldn’t think of a better way to spend our children’s inheritance."

The NWRCHA will have four shows in 2010. There is something for everyone, and I hope to see you there!

March 19-21: Oregon Horse Center, Eugene, OR

April 30-May 2: NW Washington Fairgrounds, Lynden, WA

June 4-6: Grant County Fairgrounds, Moses Lake, WA

July 13-18: Brasada Ranch, Powell-Butte, OR

www.nwrcha.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Past Digital Editions

Subscribe

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use