The Northwest Horse Source




Welcome to the NWHS Article Archive

Articles are posted here one month after their appearance in the magazine, except for cover stories, which are posted concurrently with the magazine's release.

Copyright to all content is held by The Northwest Horse Source LLC and/or the article's author. If you would like to reprint or repost an article, please contact us. Feel free to link to any article on this site from your own blog or website.

2/01/2010

Old Horses, New Friends: NWHS Reader Perspectives


We asked our newsletter* readers to tell us about their experiences buying, selling and adopting horses in 2009. Here's what they had to say...

"I attended an auction in Calhan, CO. I had no intentions of buying anything--just looking. Yeah, right. We all know that saying.

"I had seen this horse outside, but he would not turn and come to me, he just ate and ate. Well, once inside the showing pen, I was glad I did have a bidding card. Yeah, you know the ending. I bought a 7-year-old grey gelding. He's registered AQHA and has a butt to die for. We have some kinks to work out, but he is a quick learner and we are starting from the beginning. I hope to have many, many long trail rides with him here in Colorado through the Garden of the Gods.

"P.S. I had to get your news--I moved to Colorado from Vancouver, WA."

Thank you,

~"JusJoan"

"I did want to tell you my story about my new horse. First, I need to tell you why I got a new horse. I moved to Whidbey Island seven years ago from California. I noticed that there were a lot of horses here on the island, but I also noticed that there were a lot of what I thought to be neglected horses. I have loved horses all my life, but never had a chance to have one of my own. So I started reading about horses, and what it would require to have a horse. I read for almost a year about horses and how to take care of them. Then, three years ago, I started taking horse lessons, and I was so in love.

"After taking lessons for three months, I noticed that my neighbor had a horse that appeared to be dying. I called my neighbor, who thought he knew about horses, but did not know anything, and asked him to give me the horse. Her name was Maggie. She was about 21 years old, and when my vet looked at her, she was questionable as to whether she could be brought around to live. He gave me the horse, and I brought a palomino Quarter Horse from him to keep her company.

In October this year, Maggie foundered and had to be put down. I had lost my best friend. I was now with my third teacher, Kim, and she is wonderful. Her father had a horse that was priceless. She had my name written all over her. So I worked out a deal to buy my new horse, and she is perfect for me.

I have had multiple heath problems since I started my riding lessons so I have had to take many breaks. Kim knew that the new horse would be perfect to help me gain my confidence back. She was right, and now I own an Russian Arab. She is so gentle that I would not believe her to be an Arab. We connected right away...I just love my new horse, Aurora. I have found the love of my heart when I found horses."

~Lynn

"This past year I bought my 9-year-old paint mare, Stilly. I am a junior in high school and at the Evergreen State Fair FFA horse show I showed her in western pleasure green horse, western pleasure ec. green. I placed champion, and then reserve champ. This was also my first horse show ever. It was a great experience. Also, I have owned an Arabian who last winter passed away at the age of 36. I have been raised on a 27 acre farm my hole life with cattle, horses and mules."

~Whitney

*If you haven't already, you can sign up for the NWHS email newsletter at www.nwhorsesource.com.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Past Digital Editions

Subscribe

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use